Our earliest ancestors knew that the transforming effect of fire on food, and the people eating it, is magical. This one-day course allows you to explore a method of cooking that is both ancient, inspiring and surprisingly versatile.
Our classes are designed to be small (4 participants max.) to ensure that every student gets plenty of focused tuition, and hands-on experience with fire management and food preparation.
If you are:
- Eager to create or to expand your repertoire of wood fired dishes
- Looking to improve your fire management skills
- Thinking about buying or building a wood fired oven
- Keen to make more / better use of one you already own…
…then look no further. Dragan has built all five wood fired ovens at The Artisan Bakery School (four outdoors, and one in the bakery). He can offer advice on what to look out for when buying or building your own. He will share his wood fired cooking techniques and insights, and guide you as you handle the different practical aspects of fire management, while Penny takes you through the preparation of some delectable dishes.
After this course you will be able to confidently:
- Produce a gastronomic experience for family and friends to really enjoy: starters, a main, sides and dessert.
- Light, build and maintain the fire in a wood fired oven
- Buy the right wood and kindling, with the right moisture content
- Select the right utensils and equipment
- Control the temperature in different parts of the oven
- Optimise fuel economy
- Use wood chips (hickory, beech, apple etc.) to layer aroma and flavour
The course costs just £165 per person, and can be arranged on a date to suit you.
Here are some of dishes you’ll be preparing and cooking in our wood fired ovens:
Starters: Roasted garlic mushrooms with rosemary/Smoked almonds /Herb and garlic baked camembert / Rosemary prawn skewers
Mains: Baby stuffed vegetables /Crown Prince Squash stuffed with spicy chickpea stew /Seasonal paella – vegetables or seafood/ Baked whole fish / Brudet (Dalmatian bouillabaisse) /Fazol (Dalmatian bean stew) / Sweet or savoury galette – with hand-made spelt puff pastry
Sides: Garlic roast potatoes / Roasted cabbage with gorgonzola sauce /Honey and chilli roast chicory
Desserts: Authentic petit fours / creme caramel / stuffed pears
Breads: focaccia / heritage sourdough / authentic fougasse
Meat eaters please note that all roasting, grilling and baking techniques can be adapted, once you get home. Once you can control the fire, you can cook whatever you like!
Level: All welcome
Course Days: By arrangement, 10am – 4pm (ish)
Cost : £165 per person, including printed recipes and notes on techniques, all ingredients and materials, masses to eat and a fabulous day out all round.